Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Day 1

I lay asleep in my bed, trying to enjoy the last pieces of comfort that I will know for two months. I feel a calm fall over me as I think; in not even one more hour, I will have to go. I cherish the moment and feel as if I could sleep for an eternity.


I open my eyes. It’s time. With things moving quicker than I realize, i’m already napping in the car next to my sister. My city disappears behind me and a smile grows upon me. I’m ready to start.





Airport. 4:00AM. 4:45AM. 5:00AM. 6:00AM. I’m in the plane, feeling strange after waving to my mother and telling her I love her. Luckily, I sit in a spacious seat, next to a kind man who works with the airline. We talk for what seems to be hours, but is actually about one hour. We land, I depart and look for my next gate with determination. I call my parents-- the airplane is already loading up.


This time, hundreds of people crammed into tiny spaces, I am smoshed between two strangers and barely have enough space to fit my knees into the seat. I speak with the guy next to me. He is going to Seattle for governmental duties, as the toy chicken squeaks at me. Phew, not so bad! I turn on my music and try to fake sing to a song, but my eyes carry me into a two hour nap. I wake up forgetting that I am in an airplane, my legs hurt, my arms are screaming at me to find a more comfortable, my body protesting the cramped quarters.


Slowly, time passes and the plane rudely lands onto the ground. I’m… in Seattle.





Wow.


I try to find my luggage, but mistake 12 for 16. Luckily, another NSLI-Y student Abbey helps me out and we find our way into a larger group. 12 students attempt to squeeze into a van, but it does not work out, so I decide to wait for the next van. Conversely, the next van carries three of us to the University of Washington. We arrive and rejoin our larger group. We made it!





Wow!


The building reeks of age, smelling of the R.L.Stein books that I used to read religiously. A small dorm that I share with my roommate, Sebastian. I am faced with another long wait, but time still seems to have a quicker pace. Ten minutes ago, three hours flew past my eyes!


----------


We tour the campus of U Dubs and I start to feel a connection with my peers. Talking with them is an easy task and I’ve already found some friends that I trust will motivate me to better my skill in Korean as well as provide support. With a smile that can’t be wiped from my face, I walk down the hot, humid road to a library straight from Hogwarts, and by the lake we dipped our feet in the cold water and played Mafia. I am truly enjoying myself. Time starts to slow down as I find myself enjoying my journey, I check the clock and what felt like three days had actually been one hour! We return to our dorms, finding more and more new people appearing as they arrive from their flights.










Lunch time. I find my friend and hear her in a Korean conversation with some people I had not met prior. Without feeling intimidation or anxiety, I join them and listen into what they are saying. Their skill is legions above mine, but I find motivation in that-- the yearning of wanting to participate in a conversation that I am able to mostly follow through my ears. We switch into Spanish and my mind rejoices! A platform of which I am comfortable, a conversation I can participate in! Then and there, I know I had found a strong group to appreciate, one which I hope will push me further and further past the goals I had never set for myself. To expect myself to reach a certain level is to place myself at a constant ‘loading bar,’ constantly being defined and never reaching full capacity. However, by appreciating the progress I HAVE made and by forcing myself to be placed with people of a higher level, I am being exposed to new concepts and words. I am challenging myself and so far, it is driving my desire to fully experience this program as fully as I possibly can.

I now lay on my bed, feeling slightly homesick, but I rewind to review the fantastic time that I had today and I remember that the next day is another day filled with precious, new memories. Finally, I am doing something! Finally, my mind does not linger on the past, nor does it fear the future. For once again, I am enjoying the moments and living in the now. Yes, I am happy. Yes, I long for the comforts of my bed. But I can’t wait for what the next day brings and I am ready to push on forward to accept the challenges and opportunities that will be presented to me.





No comments:

Post a Comment