Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Day 2

I wake up to light. My phone reads 5:00AM.
...
At home, it would be 7:00AM.
...
Why is it so bright? I need to sleep. This bed feels super rigid.

My alarm goes off. 7:00AM.
My eyes moan, so I play my music and close my eyes for a few more minutes.
I hear my roommate shuffle. Time to wake up!

My name card broke off during breakfast, but I didn't notice until it was too late. a small piece of the flimsy plastic is trapped by the clip on my lanyard, so I release it. Oh well.

Today, we spent a long time talking about preparations for Korea through orientation.
My eyes wanted to slam shut, but I forced them open.
My head is hurting.



Lunch. Lunch passes.
We finish orientation, but I struggle to stay awake. Did I fall asleep?

Free time!
I walk with Jessica on a mission to find ice cream.
We walk to the hub, attempting to speak Korean. There are so many Japanese people here today!
We arrive at the hub. Everything is closed.

I meet up with a group and we look for Starbucks. It was very nice to see some of the campus and the local restaurants-- there are many options here! A Korean restaurant neighbors the Starbucks and I look to my right to find some Gyros. Nice! Time to head back.



It's 9:36PM. The sun STILL hasn't set!



----------

I take a shower. Things don’t feel strange or different to me. I only feel excitement for what waits! At 5:00AM, I will wake up. At 6:00AM, I will be headed downstairs to join the other NSLI-Yians (a term created by our very own Resident Director, JT aka JYT ㅋ). As I type these words, laying on my stiff bed with a pale light shining behind me, I feel as if these days are natural. By focusing on the positive and allowing myself to let go of my home, I have already created a new home that I will already leave!

However, no bittersweet touch of homesickness nor any sadness resides in my head. Only positivity and a strong will to make the most of this amazing opportunity follows. As I listen to Beyonce and 홍단아, I am prepared to have the time of my life and to embrace a culture that is nothing from what I know- a language completely alien to me and the growth that is sure to follow. Korea, I’m ready for you!

1 comment:

  1. Well stated and thanks for the snapshots and videos :-)
    Mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete