Thursday, August 11, 2016

Day 45

Today I woke up later than I wanted to again. I wanted to wake up a bit early to pack a little bit, but I ended up waking up at the normal time that I wake up. I stared at my closet, not even thinking for a while before I snapped into and washed up. By the time I was finished, my mother called me to eat breakfast. My family ate breakfast pretty early today, so I ate by myself while my brother watched the olympics in the living room in front of me. After finishing my food, I sat next to him and watched with him for a few minutes, and then had to depart because it was already getting late. I packed up my taekwondo uniform and headed out.

Going to school, I set myself a 'happy' playlist consisting of IU, GG, Asura, and 2NE1 songs. I headed out to school in a good mood. Once again, I headed out through exit 8 so that I would by chance meet people. At first, I was just alone, but then I met up with Jessica, Kenwoo, and Analise. I don't remember how, but I'm pretty sure I met up with Saha and we stopped by the coffee place that Jessica showed me. We met Jessica there, and I got the same drink that she gets. We headed to school with drink in hand (it was such a delicious and perfect drink) and got ready to attend out last class in Sookmyung through the NSLI-Y program.

As a present to our teachers, we all wrote in these two notebooks (in Korean) and we gave them to the teachers as a present. In our first class, we learned a lot and played a game. It was pretty cool. During the first break, I met up with the fashion show people because I was asked to help out with the music during their presentation, so I met up with them during their meeting. During the second break, I headed down to the bookstore and met up with Emma and Ariel there. Emma left after buying her things, but me and Ariel stayed behind a bit and bought gift materials for our supporter, since today was our last day to meet with him.

It was funny, because the bag that we got him was supposed to be for a cake, it was waay too large for our presents, and it had bad English on it. Also, it was very lovey- dovey, so we edited the words to make sense and to relate to the Korean language. Me and Ariel rushed back up to class, but Ariel lagged behind a bit because she was getting tired. I showed no mercy and blazed on, forcing her to move non-stop. She took the elevator and I took the stairs bc hardcore life.

In our second class, we totally finished our book and went to break again. I met up with JT again to prepare for the fashion show. Then, we got to the last class and our teacher made each of us a piece of paper to sign. Our name was in the middle and we passed the large papers around for each of us to sign. I didn't get to sign Jesse's one, so he gave it to me to sign and return to him later.

I waited for Elliya to speak with JT about the talent show, but somehow it ended up she spoke with Madeline and me, Sarah, and Ariel held a great conversation with JT. He is so friendly and I really appreciate having him as an RD! From the first time I met him, he was such a welcoming and friendly person! We talked about food, some experiences in Korea, and some experiences in America. It was so great :D We bit our RDs farewell and headed out to lunch. Me, Ariel, Elliya, and Sarah headed out to get lunch at subway. 

We got there and met up with Mckenzie. I got a regular 6inch turkey sandwich with lettuce, cucumbers, and a little bit of ranch dressing. I asked the guy to toast it, but either the toaster doesn't work or he actually put it in the refrigerator bc that sandwich was NOT toasty lmao. I didn't get to eat my sandwich until we left because me and Ariel were too busy preparing our supporter's gift. We tore up some pink wrapping paper and spread around this white confetti thing so that it covered everything well. Also, I wrote a thank-you letter to him partly in Korean, partly in English. That actually took up all of my time, so we left right after I finished writing that.

Just in time, we finished our gift and we (me and Ariel) headed out to the cafe. I saw Tucker with his supporter in the cafe. We met up with 준 in the far corner and this time, I got a mocha frappuchino. We did our class and talked about mondegreens with different languages. It was so much fun! Also, Jun bought a peach cake and we ate that! The coffee started to get to me, so I had to use the restroom, and while I was gone, Jun opened the presents! He liked the TWICE once that Ariel got him, but he didn't appreciate the perfect and wonderful IU album. OH WELL I GUESS I MEAN- 

SO ANYWAY we headed back to the college to get ready for our practice performance for our culture clubs and talent show. First was fan dance and then was us, taekwondo. It felt so weird to do our act not in our normal room and with such little space, but I did a pretty good job~! We practiced a bit more after that and then moved onto the talent show things. With our namu ban peers, we did the phineas and ferb parody thing and it's hard to start in time with because the music is a bit hard to hear, but you know what: If we are off pitch and out of time, it's okay because we will be that TOGETHER! memories, yo.

I then helped out with the music for the fashion show and stayed until the very end to edit the closing speech. It went from 6 minutes to 3:30 minutes. I have to practice it more, but I feel very blessed and honored to have the privilege and opportunity to do such a thing. This all ended at 7:30PM and I started to get into that 빨리게 하는 게 mood because I was planning on meeting my family for dinner at a place at 8:00PM and it takes about 30 minutes to get to the place through the subway, so I really really quickly sped walked down the sidewalk to the subway station.

 I walked up the infinite amount of stairs that lead to exit one in the purple line, so I was dead when I got to the top. I met up shortly with my family, who arrived through car. We ate together at this traditional style house and ate a LOT of food. It was the most delicious seafood I've ever had, and the most delicious and tasty food I've ever had here in Korea, plus there was SO MUCH FOOD. I spoke with my family and initiated a few conversations with them, having an honest good time. I even got my sister to talk to me, however short the conversation was! All that matters is that I got my courage up to do it again and she responded (with some coaxing from my mom).

So many 'bad' (unfortunate?) things happened while I was eating, I spilled food on myself a lot, dropped food on the table, and the waiter accidentally dropped some water and got my whole back side wet, but I was having such a good time with my family that I honestly did not care one bit. I had a lot of first time eating today - some eel and crab 회, anchovies in a sunflower seed sauce, this one seafood thing that I thought was beef and REALLY surprised me when I bit into it and it crunched and squeezed a bunch of fluid that reminded me of cleaning products into my mouth, and some fish skin jelly. It was all exceptionally delicious except for the surprise food.

Going home, my mom made me sit in the front seat. I had a great view of the night and city life and I felt super comfy, so I had a smile plastered on my face. After experiencing such a perfect night and last dinner, I started to tear up while feeling a new feeling. It is that feeling you get after honestly enjoying something and then driving home while it is becoming night time. The buildings were so beautiful and we drove through a bridge, so I got an amazingly mind-blowingly beautiful view of the river and city. It reminded me when I was in the passenger seat as my family was driving to the airport in Hawaii, and I remembered the feeling of leaving and not returning. With my smile plastered on, tears swelled up my eyes without my control.

I allowed the tears to roll down my face, but I kept quiet, just enjoying the view and moment as we drove home with my family speaking to each other. I could understand a couple of things they were saying. We dropped off my Aunt and her daughter and went to get gas. I felt kind of awkward because my dad had to reach over me to give the guy his card as a payment for the gas, but I had tears in my eyes. As we got close home and I saw some familiar buildings-- along with the cafe that me and my parents went to on that first day- I couldn't help but uncontrollably cry. I was such a huge mess and my parents were freaking out. They didn't know why I was crying and didn't know what to do, but I couldn't control myself no matter how hard I tried. I uncontrollably cried the rest of the way home and got to my room.

I sat in my room and just plopped down on my bed. Knowing that my time is almost up, I started at my ceiling once more, just as I had done that day where I felt so down and felt horrible. I felt the tears coming, so I sobbed into my pillow so as to not disturb my family. I then took a shower, my last shower in that house... and went out to type this blog. I sat next to my brother as I typed. Then, I suddenly remembered that I had to turn in my supporter homework by midnight! I looked at the time. 11:00PM. I posted 'OMG' on the chat after our supporter told us not to forget to turn in the recordings.

We had some conversation and our supporter told us not to worry about the recordings and to get some rest, but I just did it anyway and sent it right at 11:59. It was funny because I had to do an interview, but it was so late, so I just interviewed "Yvette" and while I was doing the bad girl impression voice, people outside of my window walked by, so I just started to burst into laughter.

Ok I have so much to do still and I wrote about everything that happened, so bye! gotta still pack and do some special things-

Today was such a perfect day.

-end

1 comment:

  1. I know it would be hard for you to leave but good memories still there all the time, and besides, you could come back one of these years. Just keep in touch w/ the people who speak Korean so you won't lost your expertise in that field. Anyway, thank you for the photo of your host family except the brother was not there. Ok looking forward to see you soon - sooner (sometime tomorrow). We are hoping that you had the BEST of time on your Korea's language and culture exploration!
    Have a safe journey back home ...
    God bless and see you soon,
    Mom, Dad & Rachel xoxo

    ReplyDelete