Monday, July 11, 2016

Day 14

Finally, today I return to my Korean studies. I wake up today and my family wishes to eat breakfast as soon as I'm up- 7:05AM. I quickly wash my face, eat breakfast, and brush my teeth before getting ready to head out of the door. I go out to class today and meet Jessica on the way to school in the subway station. We decide to get some bubble tea before class, so we stopped by gong cha before going to class. I got a green tea milk tea and Jessica got a green tea smoothie. We saw a flier for a performance of wicked and headed on our way to class.

In class, people were writing on the board. Apparently, one of our RD's, RT, had a birthday today! They were writing 생일 축하합니다!! Today in class, I paid extra attention and actually understood probably 80-85% of what was said by our first teacher, and 85-90% of what was said by our second teacher. The only thing that really bugs me about Korean is all of the different ways one can possibly say 'to wear.' For instance, if you are wearing shoes, it's 신발을 신다, but for clothing it's 옷을 입다, and for backpack it's 가방을 메다. There are so many more ways to say 'to wear,' but these are just some examples. It's definitely useful to know exactly how a person is wearing something, but it's an honest pain to memorize.

When class ended, we had another weekly meeting with our RDs. We got into small groups of around 6-8 and talked about what we discovered in Korea, tips we have for people going into NSLI-Y, and questions that we had for the RDs. We talked about a lot of things: Subway trains that go to a station and start to go backwards, busses, drivers in Korea, strange Ahjussis, miscommunication, and many more things. It was really fun to look back on our experiences and to hear stories from other people. Then, I went with Cynthia, Sura, Abbie, and Ashley to get lunch.

We went to a restaurant that was nearby the university and I got tteokbokki ramen. Cynthia got mandu, Ashley got a different type of mandu, Sura got kimbab, and Abbie passed on the food. We tried picking up the egg on my plate and Ashley was the first one to successfully do it, so I attempted once more and succeeded in getting the egg into my mouth, but it was spicy and hot and filled my mouth, so I was dying. Thankfully, Cynthia got me some water and I was all good, after having some tears fall.

We went to the bank so Abbie could transfer some American money and, ironically for Sura, we got the cutest bank teller there, who was just on break for lunch a moment prior. Then, we walked around to find 남영역, but we got lost along the way and ended up asking directions from a business man and a policeman. The station ended up being right in front of our faces, so we hurried along and went to 충정로역 to find the adobe of a 인기가 만는 사람. It took us approx. 10 years to find it, and we were walking in the humid heat, so we ended up sweating a lot as well. Luckily, my backpack was able to switch from a backpack to a shoulder messanger-style bag, so I was able to air out my back.

After a while of walking and going in rectangles, we found our way to the house and took some pictures. The group was planning on going to hongdae, but I had to head home because it was getting late. I took the green line back home, standing for about 40-45 minutes. At one stop, the train remained open for about 2-3 minutes before closing. The train conductor said something when the doors opened, and before they closed, but I could not understand a word of what he said. Also, it was not repeated in English, so I just stood there and waited. I ended up getting home early and my mother was sleeping because she had not expected me to come home so early (i was about 30 minutes early today). I took a shower and ate dinner. At the dinner table, I spoke more Korean with my mother. I'm making small progress, but my Korean is still very horrible.

Then, I studied Korean some more, spoke with some NSLI-Yians on kakao, and am now writing this blog, with 메밀차 (barleywheat tea) sitting on the table in front of me. My brother is also writing his English blog as I write my blog. Today was a good day, and tomorrow, I get to meet my supporter. We have a picture contest with our supporter (about 19 groups of 2-3 people per supporter) and the theme is 'breaking the ice.' I have an idea for this, but I won't reveal it right now because if there are any NSLI-Yians reading this blog (probably not haha), I don't want you taking my idea. To be honest, it's a basic idea that many people will probably think of, so I will have to find some way to spice it up.

Well, That's All for today, Folks!

(sorry i had to lol)

I look forward to tomorrow and right now, I'm sipping on my multivitamin drink (there is a tablet that you put into water and it fizzes like an alka seltzer and looks like 맥주 BUT ISNT I PROMISE!) because I had recently got a drippy nose (like 30 minutes ago) and it started with a sneeze. I hope I dont get sick, that would seriously suck. Anywho, goodnight everyone! I'll see you all next time~! er.. you all will see me next time.

err... you wont see me, but you'll read my blog.

well, hopefully you will anyway.




(btw here are some pictures from over the weekend that my mother took on her phone)

Pictures from Mother™


-end

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the video and photos. Still we are looking forward to see your whole host family. Have a great day for tomorrow's activities. Take care and God bless ...
    Love,
    Family back home xoxo

    ReplyDelete