Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Day 29

I woke up today feeling ok. I wasn't awake, but I wasn't particularly sleepy. I quickly washed my face and went into the living room to eat breakfast. However, my father wasn't quite finished preparing breakfast, so I just rested for a while and listened to songs on Youtube. I still had some homework left to do, but I decided to wait until I got to school to do it before my class started. My father shortly called me over for breakfast.

We had simple stuff: beef, kimchi, seaweed, rice, egg, and some apples and nectarines. It was delicious! I spoke to my father during breakfast and we had a conversation about my day, Korean food, and the hot weather. It was so nice to talk to him and to also speak in Korean! It's a bit harder to understand what he says when compared to my mother, but it's great to not have an English translation available all the time, we are both pushing ourselves to be expressive in each other's languages. When I say something he doesn't understand in English, I have to say it in Korean to the best of my ability. If I don't understand something in Korean, he explains it in English to the best of his ability. I love that we are able to communicate through the language barrier!

However, we ended up talking so much that the time flew by and it was already 8:10AM. Usually, I would leave at 7:50AM. I quickly walked to the subway station and rushed over to the school and got to my class 3 minutes late, but people were not in their seats yet, so I was fine. According to my dad, it was the middle of the hotter days of summer, so it was super hot, but I was still wearing pants, a long sleeve shirt, and a jacket. Although it was a little bit hot today, I didn't have a clean pair of shorts and I had to sacrifice having to be a little sweaty in order to still have a decent style.

School was very fun today! I was hot, so I moved seats to a seat nearby the air condition. In the middle of class, the window slammed open, causing a shock through the classroom. This happened twice. We also got our second stipends today. I received my stipend early because I got to the table where they were handing out the stipend before everyone else did, so I was able to get my stipend before the time that I was meant to receive it.

After class ended, I went to an Itallian restaurant with my friend and we ate pizza. It was pretty good, but there were large chucks of some kind of fake cheese that, to me, tasted like sour cream. I did not like this part about the pizza. I practiced speaking Korean with my friends as much as I possibly could and ate pizza! We then split up into our supporter groups and studied for a while.

I met up at cafe arena again for my supporter class and this time, we discussed describing other people. It was simple stuff, but I guess my mind was not cooperating and I couldn't understand or speak Korean at that time at all. It was as if I took a few steps back in Korean, but my mind also seemed to be very distracted by a lot of things going on in the cafe, the music, some people in the cafe moving in a distracting manner, other supporter groups talking, and other thoughts that lead my mind elsewhere. As a result, I felt really bad after the class.

However, my mood returned back to a good mood after I got some bubble tea at a place that I really wanted to visit for a while, but was closed due to some family holiday. With my friends, we got bubble tea there and I started my profile on the Hello talk app. It was really exciting and I got some conversations with other people in no time at all! Then, we met up with another friend and went to look for some clothing. We tried ate some mandu and I got some galbi mandu. The taste was very similar to home made hamburgers. It was something very surprising and unexpected, but it was still super delicious!

We stopped by a convenience store and I bought a red bean fish ice cream sandwich. It was so. so. good. omg. I def recommend it to everyone ever. We looked for the highschool(s) that were nearby our school, but we couldn't find them, so we ended up trying to ask for help. The people who were helping us thought that we were looking to enroll in classes and tried to help us get into the university's dorm, but we explained the situation and escaped. Although we didn't really get to find the highschool, it was a funny and interesting experience! We ended the day and went back home uneventfully.

I took a shower and did my homework and spoke to some people on the Hello Talk app. Today was a good day! Tomorrow, I will do my community service with my group. We are going to a girl's high school and presenting a powerpoint on how American school life is different from Korean school life. I'm not sure if we will be doing more, but I believe that the Korean students will also present to us.

My sister and brother are singing kpop right now - me gustas tu. I think that its so cute and funny~!
Well. I'm done for now. I will write again tomorrow! bye byeeeee!

Day 28 & 29


-end

2 comments:

  1. Must be nice to have your stipend today :=) Yves please do offer some help at home especially your host mother is away. What day of the week you're supposed to do laundry? wonder why you don't have any clean pants. Ok catch w/ you later. Dad and I do our grocery today at Ft. Bliss. Your sister still sleeping at the moment. Have a great time for another school activities tomorrow ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Son. It sounds like you are doing well and having fun there. Keep up the good and hard work. You're mom and I are looking forward to reading your next blog post. Dad...

    ReplyDelete